On the Glasgow Suburban Project (GSSR) the Network Rail/Siemens Rail Automation Project Team selected Plug & Play for signalling enabling works on 20 sets of Clamplock point machines. The existing point machines remained in situ, the location/apparatus cases, DIS boxes and cables were replaced with new equipment.
The GSSR site had very limited access for engineering works. Plug coupled DIS boxes were selected to enable rehearsals and speed in over and back testing.
There were 5 stages to the renewals:
- A new iLECSYS Rail enabling DIS box was installed at each set of new points. The equipment cables were fitted with plug coupled connections at the DIS box end and terminal connections at the track. The cable from the existing location/apparatus case was connected into the enabling DIS box via terminal connections.
- A new location case/apparatus case was installed and wired into the iLECSYS Rail DIS box with terminal connections. The contacts to the equipment were all plug coupled.
- All existing equipment was pre-tested.
- On final commissioning, the plug coupled equipment cable shall be disconnected & moved from the enabling DIS box & re-connected to the final DIS box.
- The enabling dis box and old location/apparatus case was ultimately removed.
The comments from site staff were very positive. Overall, the general consensus was that they liked the equipment as it was quick and easy to install/test with very little risk of error.